Search This Blog

Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Сиринет

A few days ago I ran into a completely unfamiliar word - сиринет (sirinet). From the context it seemed like a musical instrument of some sort. A Yandex search yielded little aside from a mirror of the text I was already translating (love the Russian internet). Google searches for sirinette, syrinette and cyrinette, with or without the additional term "music," were fruitless as well.

When I inquired, the client replied that a сиринет was a phonograph traditionally used to provide music in a pub-style restaurant.

That solved the immediate problem of how to translate the term: in the very non-technical context the word "phonograph" would do nicely. But I am interested in music history, and a music term that comes up with no relevant hits in Google is enough of a mystery to keep me awake at night.

Sleep works wonders.

The next day it dawned on me that the сирин- part of the word could be a phonetic spelling in Cyrillic of a word that used different vowels in its original language. I might be looking at a word that had a connection to sirens, either the Greek ones or the emergency ones.

Bullseye! The Pulsometer Sirenette was a ship's fog horn. Here are some pictures of Sirenettes (third row down) - they look a little like the amplification horn on a phonograph, don't they?[03.2010 NOTE: the picture gallery is moving hosts - I will revise the link once it is up again]

If anyone knows how pub phonographs came to be called Sirenettes in Russian (and whether or not the name was ever in widespread use) I'd love to hear about it.

2 comments:

  1. it was wonderful reading! Your guess was brilliant! And as usual)) I can answer your questions easily: 1) steamships were extremely not rare in Russian Empire back in the day when sirinet has got its name. I mean the amplification horn of the device which purpose was to entertain people(and at some kabaks as well) was looking (as you've noticed already) quite like siren (or particular Sirenette) from a steamship. http://img.oboz.obozrevatel.com/files/NewsPhoto/2008/09/24/259687/119926_image_large.jpg
    2) And since in Slavic cultures name for siren always was sirin it ended up as Sirinet. http://ru.wikipedia.org/wiki/Сирин
    I think some sirinettes and sirens from steamships is still available in the Politechnichesky Museum (Chinatown station(upper exit) and Lubyanka station). I'm pretty sure the word itself wasn't really widespread even then, I think because of the growth of technology most likely. In the same year of 1877 when Edison invents his phonograph with cylinders Berliner invents his gramophone with disks. Ten years after Edison improves the phonograph. Its still better than gramophone then. Another ten years after Berliner's disk finally kills Edison's cylinder.
    http://ru.wikipedia.org/wiki/Граммофон
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Berliner_Gramophone
    100 years after In the end of the XXth century situation repeated with laser disks and cds...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the info, Vova! I've been meaning to visit the Polytechnic Museum, so maybe now I'll get around to it!

    ReplyDelete